Dentaybow FT#77 FAS#389 Crane-Woodsmanse Ladder 80'
(Moved to Dentaybow from West Pine Island in June 1952)
Dentaybow was recorded standing in 1967 survey notes.
We have previously discussed "West Pine Island." The "West Pine Island" origin has been carried forth with little explanation. Although attempts have been made.
A hitch became apparent when comparing state tower lists. The 1939 list and the 1960s list have the designated tower numbers included.
In the 1939 list Rapids[sic] River lookout was designated tower #77. That tower was along what is now Highway 72 just north of the Rapid River. A ranger station was at the tower. In the 1960s list Dentaybow lookout is tower #77. There is no good reason to doubt these records. So the Dentaybow tower looks to have originally stood at the Rapid River Ranger Station.
About that "moved from West Pine Island," yes, the Rapid River Ranger Station was west of Pine Island, northwest. And maybe it was called "West Pine Island," why not?
That leaves the lookout between Pine Island and Ludlow indicated on MHD maps between 1948 and 1950. Three ideas:
- That tower could very well have been the first Pine Island tower, moved to the site of an "emergency ranger station" along the new Pine Island-Waskish road.
- Or, tower #77 was moved from the Rapid River Ranger Station to this site and stood for a few years as the "West Pine Island" tower before going on to Dentaybow. By the 1960s of course, it is just the Dentaybow tower #77.
What happened to the first Pine Island tower then is open to speculation.*
|1948 Highway Map, Minnesota Highway Department|
The tower moved to the present Rapid River site (tower #146) in 1941 is a 94' ladder tower. Where that came from isn't known and needs more study. Tower number 146 is 26 towers past the total in the 1939 list.
* Not all towers were reused. Some were stored, sold, or scrapped. Also it wasn't unheard of that towers were damaged during take-down or moving. Some towers just didn't survive. The 1960s tower list has no tower that could be construed as the first Pine Island tower.